Thursday, March 8, 2012

icky jobs

I'm talking to the kids at St Aidan's this Sunday about Jesus washing the disciples feet (John 13:1-17). What fun can't you have telling a story to a bunch of 5-9 year olds about an insanely disgusting cleanup job.


It feels like I've known the story from my mother's womb - just before the last supper, Jesus knows he's on the way to the cross, he strips off and washes the road grime, mud and animal droppings off his disciples' sweaty, stinky feet. Peter protests; he's overruled. Jesus tells his disciples to mimic his humble actions.  


I've always seen it as an example Jesus set us to follow, so my thinking has usually been - "knowing this story, what do I need to do to copy Jesus' example? How should I be serving others?"


But this time, I was struck by something new: 
He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”
Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” 
“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.” 
Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”
John 13:6-8

Jesus answer to Peter doesn't make sense if he is just setting an example to follow.  Jesus can hardly be saying: "Come on Simon, I need to make a point here!  Just cooperate."  By the time he'd got to Peter, he'd already washed enough feet to make his point.


No, Jesus' act was more than an example to follow (although it is that too).  Jesus was acting out a parable. This event is firstly about what Jesus does for me and you, and then secondly about what we do in response to and imitation of him.


He lowered himself to the meanest level, to clean his followers' feet, ready for the great supper that was prepared for them.


And the following day, he suffered an even greater humiliation to carry out an even greater cleansing, to prepare an even greater number of followers for an even greater banquet!


Are you one of them?



1 comment:

  1. I love that picture of the statue. Where did you find that?

    An excellent take on the point of Jesus' actions. I had not really made that connection properly before.

    ReplyDelete