Sunday, June 17, 2012

Stoopid

I'm reading Idiot America at the moment, by Charles Pierce.  


Ok, I confess that I got the book because I like poking fun at the good ol' USofA, and I thought that this book might be a good laugh.  It is, but it also cuts uncomfortably close the bone, even here in Australia.
The three Great Premises of Idiot America:
  • Any theory is valid if it sells books, soaks up ratings, or otherwise moves units
  • Anything can be true if someone says it loudly enough
  • Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it
I suspect that Mr Pierce and I wouldn't agree on lots of things in the public policy debates in his country or mine.  I'm pretty certain that we have very different worldviews.  Some of what I believe he would comfortably (and maybe even fondly) label as "crank".  From him, I would probably take it as a compliment (you'll have to read to book to understand why).  


But I think that we would agree on this: the quality of public debate in America (and Australia) is now so poor that it's really no debate.  It's much more like this:




Mr Pierce's book seems to say that what passes for public debate now is little more than a series of unrelated pep-talks to the respective teams.  There is little-to-no engagement with fact, or even much effort to discern what the true facts are.  There is no engagement with the arguments and assumptions held by "the other side".  There is overweening arrogance and self-aggrandizement from those in power and authority (and from anyone who manages to get onto talk TV or talk radio).  There is extraordinary apathy and cynicism from the vast majority of people on most issues.  


Above all, there's the official dogma: Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and all opinions are entitled to equal respect.


Is it naive to hope for a culture in which most people learn to discern truth from falsehood?  In which most people can recognise nonsense, even when it's dressed up as serious opinion?  In which one is confident enough to say so?  In which one is humble enough to be corrected and to change his opinion?


How do we start to create a culture like that?


(I borrowed Idiot America from my local library, LINC Tasmania.  Or you can buy the book from Amazon, Kobo, Collins, Fullers or other bookstores)



No comments:

Post a Comment