Monday, June 20, 2011

Connecting you now ... (or are they?)

I recently read this blog post by Pete Wilson, laying down the gauntlet to all us WiFi Dads: disconnect to reconnect.


The basic premise:
Mobile devices, computers and social media are wonderful things, indeed. They’ve transformed our lives and our world in countless positive ways. But make no mistake, while we’re more connected than ever (and maybe because we’re more “connected” than ever), we’re more disconnected than ever from our families.
Providentially, I am also listening to Tim Challies' book The Next Story, which is about living as a Christian in the digital world.  (You can buy a paper copy here.)  One of the big ideas there is that technological advance impacts on biology and behaviour - that we serve our gadgets as much as they serve us.  (Ponder that, next time to you reach for your phone in response to a notification!)


These ideas become real (or surreal?) for me some evenings when I'm sitting around with extended family.  We play on our iPhone / iPod / laptops.  Occasionally we'll exchange words - to explain what we've just been laughing at, or the great move we just made in our game.  When the evening is over, I invariably have a sense of having missed out - another opportunity for real connection has been lost.  (To be fair, this is also the case when we're all glued to the tv, book or guitar chord chart!)


It is hard to set aside the gadgets.  I get fidgety without something for my hands to do.  It takes effort to chat, even with people I know well and love.  My conversation runs in the same worn pathways until I find that I'm even boring myself!  (I suppose this comes from not taking the trouble to practise more.)


It is one thing to see my adult social skills atrophying - but it is something altogether else to ponder the impact on my children.  What message does my compulsive connectedness have on them?  Do they see the priority order as iPhone, laptop, wife, children?  Fast-forward 10 years, will I have raised kids who do as I do, and barely look up from whatever has replaced the iPhone by then?


I don't want to get rid of the technology altogether, but I want it as my servant, not my master.  And I want to give my kids the strength of character to harness the technology of their time, rather than being harnessed by it!


Pete Wilson's suggestions seem to be a good place to start:
This Sunday, disconnect from all your electronic devices and plan a day dedicated to your family and loved ones. If you choose to get crazier or more creative with this, definitely let us know. But it starts with one day. A little over a year ago I decided to start making each Saturday (Sunday’s a work day for me so it doesn’t work) a computer/email/cell phone/twitter/facebook free zone and I’ve never regretted in one day. Those close to me know how to get a hold of me if there’s an emergency. I can’t tell you how much I long for my technology fast each weekend.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment